Spinach & Gouda Quiche

04 March 2012


Savory pie with spinach and onion, topped with tomatoes, black olives and gouda cheese. A wonderful combination of flavors that goes well with a dollop of Turkish yoghurt!


I rarely cook for dinner, or at all. Cooking is just not me, not that I can not cook at all, but I like to try new and exciting dishes from all over the world (which I think I am alone to fancy at home). However, my sister has requested about a quiche or a savory pie a while ago since she really wanted to have it for dinner. So as she was coming over at our place today she asked us to make it for dinner. And since quiche is more of a baking than cooking, I was really up for it. This is my first attempt on a quiche ever, and I am so much pleased with the result. The quiche or pie turned out amazing. Actually my sister ended up eating half of the quiche!! The sautéd spinach and onion filling stood well to the egg mixture and pie crust topped with the rich gouda cheese and black olives. And it is so easy to prepare.


What else? I have been making these amazing yummilicous best-ever browned butter brownies for the third time today within a week I think! I think I am addicted to these. Dangerous, I tell you, so it is better to stay on the safe side and refrain from making them. I am finally done with the exam and the results will be up this week, I am a little nervous. But I am not finished yet, more exams and presentations coming up this month.


The weather outside is just lovely! All snow is gone and it is so mild and nicely windy in the day time, and it is just the beginning of March, but I am hoping the weather will last because I am loving it. Enjoy the weather where ever you are and enjoy this lovely savory pie alone or with good company! By the way, I am completely aware of that this is meant to be a baking blog for sweet goodies, but once in a while it is nice to share a really good recipe for some savory stuff also, of course baked only!


Here comes the recipe which is taken from Tine (in Norwegian)


I n g r e d i e n t s


Pie Crust

125 g butter, cubed
3 dl all purpose flour
2-3 tbsp water


Filling

250 g spinach, fresh or frozen
1 onion, diced
25 g butter

3-4 eggs

2,5 dl milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
100 g tomatoes, sundried or fresh
50 g olives
150 g gouda cheese, grated (or any other cheese)

Pre-heat the oven at 200 C and grease an around baking tin or pie pan, about 26 cm

1. Have the flour in a large bowl and mix in the butter until it form crumbles or use a food processor
2. Add the water and mix until the dough just comes together
3. Roll the dough a little larger than the tin size and press it down in the prepared tin, covering the sides
about 5 cm above all the way around
4. Prick with a fork (you can add beans if you want, but it is fine without too)


Bake in the middle of a hot oven at 200 C for about 15 minutes

Meanwhile, prepare the filling

1. Heat the butter in a pan
2. Add spinach and finely diced onion
3. Sauté for about 5-10 minutes over medium heat until the onions become blank and tender
4. Remove from the heat and set aside
5. In a medium sized bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper
6. Spread the spinach filling evenly on the pre-baked pie crust


7. Pour over the egg mixture


8. Add cut tomatoes and olives
9. Sprinkle over grated cheese


Bake in the bottom shelf in a hot oven at 200 C for about 40 minutes or until golden brown


Let cool a little, serve lukewarm with turkish yoghurt and a good salad

A piece of spinach & gouda quiche


Looking like a pizza..


Lovely flavors!


I love spinach <3




No comments :

Post a Comment

hi