Oreo Delight

28 May 2013


Layers of cream, cookies and chocolate in perfect harmony. This scrumptious Oreo Cake takes you into another world.

According to my younger sister "everybody loves Oreo cookies!!". So maybe that is why when my sister's friend was having a girl's party she ordered an Oreo Cake from me. I started making the cake a night before so that the cake would have time to set in the refrigerator. I had made it a couple of times before with great succes so it was no big deal I thought. But something went wrong which made me realize that even though you think you are an "expert" on something, you can fail. The chocolate mousse I made from scratch failed. It did not get firm chilling overnight and being too runny it ruined the whole cake and made it look like a mockery of my baking. Looking at the misshapen cake I felt like a fool with only a few hours left till my sister's friend was coming for the cake. After thinking hundreds of ideas on how I could save the cake I gave up. There was no hope for it. I realized that I had folded in the cream too quickly in the still hot chocolate (which I knew I should not, but I just did) while making the mousse and that is why it did not set properly. It was sad because the milk chocolate mousse I made tasted heavenly, the best mousse I had ever had!


With a few hours left till delivery of the cake, I gathered courage and started all over again. I could not disappoint my customer. And first and foremost I could not let myself down like this. I had to deliver and I had to deliver perfect. This time I decided to use store bought chocolate mousse, not because I was afraid to fail making the chocolate mousse again, but rather because I had lack of time and homemade mousse needed a lot more time to set than store bought. Good things Oreo Cake does not have to be baked, so it is quite easy to make and before I knew, I had finished it in no time and there was still time left before my sister's friend would pick it up.

I know I had a new and good cake to deliver my sister's friend, but the guilt of a failed cake was still there and I wanted to make up for it (more for myself) by decorating the cake very nicely. Instead of the regular look this cake is known for with crushed cookies and chocolate sauce crossed all over the cake, I wanted to give it a more luxury and elegant look. I piped cream swirls all around the cake and attached the chocolate decorations which I had already made a day before in molds. I did cut remaining Oreo cookies in halves and placed them at a slight angle with the cut side facing upward. I had also made some thin chocolate squares with the leftover chocolate which were placed in between the Oreo cookies. A whole Oreo cookie was embellished in the middle of the cake topped with a swirl of cream. Chocolate sauce decorated in circles on the side of cake lifted the cake to new heights. I was much satisfied and ready to deliver the cake.


Oreo cake is a success. My sister told me all the girls ran like crazy for the cake. And for her, Oreo cake is the best cake. This cake has really become popular in Norway (and I think this version is a Norwegian invention)and has become an important part of the cake table. However, Oreo Cake is a very rich cake which can be too much and too sweet if you overeat, but a nice slice with a cup of strong coffee is just great! Well, now that is a whole another story that I end up eating this cake till I get sick (can't really help it - it is good). The cake consist of three layers with "heaven" for Oreo cookies and cream lovers. The bottom layer starts with crushed Oreo cookies and melted butter followed by a layer with delicious cream cheese and cream, which is again topped with a generous layer of chocolate mousse. This last layer is covered with some fresh cream and usually decorated with some crushed Oreo cookies and chocolate sauce.


Wondering what I did with the failed Oreo Cake? Well, we ended up eating over half of it and the rest was used to make some yummilicious Oreo Popsicles. They were amazing! Recipe will come soon..


Makes about 10-12 servings


You will need a spring form 22-24 cm and a serving plate or tray at least 24 cm in diameter. Remove the bottom of the form and place the form directly on the serving plate for best appearance of the finished cake!

For step by step pictures, please click here!


I N G R E D I E N T S


Bottom layer

about 300-350 g oreo cookies
80 g butter

1. Crush the oreo cookies to medium fine crumbs
2. Melt the butter and add to the oreo crumbs and mix until combined
3. Press the crumbs evenly in the spring form (placed on a plate with the bottom removed)

Let chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until firm


Cheese Cake Layer

250 g cream cheese, natural
2,5 dl icing sugar
2,5 tbsp sugar
1,75 dl full cream, whipped

1. Beat the cream cheese and icing sugar until light and creamy
2. Whip the cream and sugar until it forms peaks
3. Fold in the wipped cream in the cream cheese mixture until smooth
4. Pour the mixture over the oreo cookies layer

Let chill in the refrigerator until it is set and firm to the touch (about 1-2 hours)


Chocolate Mousse layer

150 g milk chocolate
1,5 tbsp icing sugar
1 egg yolk
2 dl full cream, whipped

1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over hot water bath
2. Add the icing sugar and egg yolk
3. Beat heavily (still over the heat) using a whisk or electic mixer until creamy and fluffy

Let cool completely

4. Fold in the whipped cream
5. Spread the chocolate mousse layer on top of the cream cheese layer

OR take a shortcut by using store bought chocolate mousse

1 packet of chocolate mousse, bought
2 dl full cream 

1. Follow the instructions, but replace the milk with cream for a more firm mousse which will set quickly and spread on the cake


Let chill in the refrigerator preferably overnight or until firm to the touch


Top layer


2,5 dl full cream

1. Whip the cream until it forms peaks and spread half of it over the chocolate mousse
2. Use the rest for piping swirls on the cake


Garnish


Chocolate decorations
Chocolate squares
Oreo cookies, whole and cut in halves
Chocolate sauce
Whipped cream

Make swirls with whipped cream and garnish the cake as desired!


Four layers with yumminess..



Chocolate and cream in perfect harmony



If you love Oreo cookies, you will love this cake!

No comments :

Post a Comment

hi