Salted Chocolate Caramel Tarts

11 May 2013


Crisp and flaky crust filled with delicious caramel and topped with smooth chocolate ganache. A hint of sea salt elevates the flavors to a whole different experience.

I don't make tarts too often. Even though I wish I did. I have so many tarts in my to-make list, but everytime I am engaged in baking I end up making something else. Tarts are delicious treats and can be made in so many different ways with endless creativity when it comes to flavor and taste. Being only familiar with the luxurious Norwegian tart "Fyrstekake" or "Prince's Cake" I fell in love with the lemon tarts when I had them for the very first time and I have made them a few times. And after watching a baking program on the TV, I am really tempted to make Pascal's lemon tart with berries. The tart shell includes almond flour and is filled with a different type of lemon curd which uses whole eggs and the tart is decorated so beautifully with berries and fruits for then to be glazed with apricot jelly.



Chocolate Caramel Tarts are treats themselves. Tart shells, caramel filling and chocolate ganache rounded off with a little sea salt just makes the perfect treat. It is something between a candy and biscuit, more like Twix chocolate, but still it has got it's own characteristics and taste which makes it unique. I had the tarts in the refrigerator overnight and that made the caramel too hard, but they thawed to room temperature by the night and the caramel was soft and nice. The next day my niece who loved the tarts asked were the left-overs were (I told her that I was letting some aside for her), and I had to apologize her telling that I ended up eating all that was left last night and that I would make more for here some other time. Really, they were delicious when the caramel had softened and I could not stop myself from eating all of them.



The best part with making tarts is that you can make several tarts at once with different fillings and you can please many palettes at the same time. I made three tart shells where two of them were used for chocolate caramel tarts while the last one was filled with almond filling and believe me that was one delicious tart with a great filling (recipe may come another time). For now enjoy these Chocolate caramel Tarts!

Sweet Macaron has now a fan page on Facebook. Please like!





Makes about 3 small 15 cm tarts or 1 big 24-26 cm tart


I n g r e d i e n t s

Tart crust

1 quantity Flaky pie crust


Caramel Filling
Adapted from mushitza

0,9 dl water
300 g sugar
45 g glucose (may omit, but adds softness to caramel)
0,9 dl heavy whipping cream
82 g butter
11 g flaked sea salt

1. Whisk together sugar, glucose and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil
2. Let cook without stirring until it reached 180C or turns to amber color
3. Remove the pan from heat and add in cream (be careful, it may squirt)
4. Stir in the butter until you smooth and nice caramel
5. Pour the caramel into tart shells and let set for at least 2 hours, preferably 4 hours or until firm to the touch


Chocolate Ganache

90 g chocolate, dark
0,5 dl heavy cream
sea salt, crushed (for garnish)
cashew nuts, chopped (for garnish)

1. Break the chocolate into pieces and have them in a deep bowl
2. Have the cream in a small saucepan and bring to simmer
3. Remove from heat and pour the cream over the chocolate
4. Let sit for about 2 minutes and then stir to a smooth ganache
5. Pour the ganache over the tart shells and garnish with roughly chopped cashew nuts
6. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm to the touch

Sprinkle some sea salt before serving!

Delicious Chocolate Caramel Tarts..



with chopped cashew nuts



and sea salt!



Mmmmm.. so good!


No comments :

Post a Comment

hi